Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Bottlenose Dolphins Play with Fish Ball

Bottlenose Dolphins Playing with Fish Ball

Catching a fleeting glimpse of a dorsal fin tucked away in a cove, we drove the boat over to find out whose it was. About five adult and 2 young bottlenose were playing with fish. I slid in to film. The water was quite murky from recent wave action. Adults were seriously tearing through the fish and spinning around them. The babies, about 6 months old perhaps, were watching and had time to check me out. When one adult caught a fish, the others gathered around. I think that this isnt a usual prey and the others wondered what it tasted like. Both babies came to nurse their moms right after, which is in the video.
After the catch I saw that there were two sharks on the bottom, perhaps sand bar sharks, quickly turning back and forth over the reef.

Previous video of bottlenose playing with a fish ball...


Seeing dorsal fins popping up around the boat, we checked out what was going on. Below the boat we saw a huge dark cloud, turned out to be a fish ball. I got into the water to film.
Nine bottlenose dolphins were spending the morning playing with a school of fish. The dolphins weren't hunting, no open mouth attempts to catch the fish. The adult bots were doing what I was doing, scanning the bottom below us with long distance sonar beams. They created a safe playground for the young bottlenose.
The youngsters glided into and around the fish ball, stroking them almost and creating patterns. The fish didn't seem to mind the dolphins and the dolphins didn't seem to mind my presence. 
My camera memory ran out, doggoneit!  Later I found that most of my footage was out of focus unfortunately.
These fish are thought to be escapees from the nearby fish farm. 







No comments:

Post a Comment